ALOPECIA – MANAGEMENT
Early detection of alopecia and its timely treatment can control the problem. Meet your doctor in the following cases :
- if there is abnormal hair loss.
- if hair is present in the involved area but fails to grow out normally.
- if continual hair-pulling (trichotillomania) is suspected.
- if the skin under the involved area is abnormal.
The objectives of treatment are to :
- prevent further hair loss
- restore the lost hair
- educate the person to identify the problem early
This includes dietary and lifestyle changes. Some guidelines to be followed are :
- Eat a well balanced and nutritious diet rich in proteins, vitamins and minerals. Take plenty of fruits and vegetables.
- In consultation with your dermatologist use a shampoo suited to your hair type.
- Drink at least 8-10 glasses of water.
- Do a head massage at least twice a week. It will help in increasing the circulation to the scalp.
- Comb or brush your hair gently.
- Avoid hair styles that pull on your hair excessively.
- Cover your head while going out in sun, as ultraviolet rays can damage your hair.
- Wear a bathing cap while swimming.
- Avoid excessive shampooing and blow drying.
- Avoid the use of hair dyes, gels or any other harsh cosmeticson hair.
- Maintain a proper hygiene of your hair.
- Avoid stress by practicing yoga, meditation or relaxation exercises.