- There are many causes for hair loss and the proper treatment depends upon the root cause of hair loss, which varies from person to person. Elimination of the cause is important. Drugs specific for treating Alopecia: internal and external application are advised along with rejuvenation therapy.
- Oleation and sweat therapy is followed by letting out of vitiated or impure blood.
Ayurvedic drugs used for treating Alopecia
- Maha Gandhak Vatai
- Praval Pishti
- Brahm Rasayan
- Arogyawardhini Vatai
- Punarnava Mandoor
- Manjishthadi Kwath
- Avippatikar Choorna
- Chandraprabha Vatai
For external application
- Neem Paste
- Chandanadi oil
- Bhringraj oil
- Paste made of Gunja, Bhringraj, Tagar, Devdaru, Kali Mirch, Manha shila, Kasis and tuth are also applied.
- Oils prepared from Karveer, Chitrak, Karanj are also applied on the scalp.
Though efficacy of the medicines have not been established as yet to cure the baldness permanently, the above combinations can be tried to control the problem.
- Person should be fully aware of the cleanliness of the hair.
- Perming of hair, use of hair drier or iron to make hair straight is not recommended.
- Chemicals like hair dye, hair spray bleaching cream, hair fixer need to be avoided.
- Excessive use of oil is not recommended.
- Use a mild shampoo(Herbal).
- Neem leaves decoction can be used externally on the scalp once a week
- The person should restrict ‘Pitta’ increasing diet and avoid other Pitta aggravataing factors .
- Nasal instillation of Bhringraj oil, Neem oil, yashtimadhukadya oil, prevents greying and can prevent hair fall.
Life style modifications
Life style modifications such as proper dietary habits with certain dietary changes are important to get a well balanced nutritious diet. Proper hygiene of hair needs to be maintained. Mild shampoo (herbal) is to be used regularly. Avoid using chemicals on hair such as dyes, Perming or blow dry etc. Excessive and vigorous drying and brushing of scalp hair should be avoided and the use of a wide toothed comb is often suggested. If stress is the factor Yoga and stress relaxation techniques can help.