- Either excessive sweating or absence of sweating.
- Darkening of skin.
- Excruciating pain in injured or diseased part.
- Laxity of joint
- Eruptions (Pidika) on the body, especially on joints like knee and hip, joints of hand and feet. These eruptions are characterized by
o Intense pain
o Loss of sensation
o Discoloration of the skin
Specific symptoms according to dominance / association of doshas [Ch.Chi:29][Su.Ni:1]
If Vata dosha is dominant
- Severe pain
- Dryness in swelling
- Darkening of affected parts. (Hyper pigmentation of skin)
- Variation in the intensity of symptoms
- Contraction of joints of fingers, arteries
- Body ache
- Patient dislikes cold and there is aggraVataion of symptoms in cold weather.
- Trembling, stiffness and Numbness
If Rakta vitiation is dominant
- Painful red swelling
- Pricking or tingling sensation
- Discharge from eruptions
If Pitta dosha is dominant
- Burning sensation
- Increased thirst
- Redness and swelling
If Kapha dosha is dominant
- Sensation as if body is wrapped in a wet cloth
- Heaviness in body
- Intense itching
- Mild pain
If there is dominance of more than one Dosha then the symptoms of the respective disease types may be seen together.
Course of the disease [Su.Ni.1:48] [Ch.Chi.29]
This disease starts mostly from the big toe, feet or ankle and slowly spreads to other joints like rat poison. Vata is carried all over the body due to its pervasive and subtle nature supplemented by the fluid nature of blood. It gets obstructed in joints and resides there, combine with other doshas to produce symptoms accordingly