OSTEOARTHRITIS – MULTIDIMENSIONAL APPROACH
A multidimensional programme with individualized approach will produce good results in arthritis than conventional approach focused around drug therapy. Other key health enrichment factors like diet, yoga and exercise deserve equal importance.
Exercise plan needs to be personalized keeping in mind the joints involved and the extent of damage.
Exercise proves to be beneficial in the following ways:
- Reduces stiffness in joints.
- Enhances flexibility.
- Increases muscle strength and tolerance.
- Aids in weight reduction.
- Induces a sense of well being.
There are three categories of exercises
- Range of motion exercise for procuring normal movement, increasing flexibility and reducing stiffness.
- Strengthening exercise to strengthen muscles and maintain joint stability.
- Aerobic exercises for weight reduction and inducing a sense of well being.
Exercise should be done under the guidance of a physiotherapist or doctor. If exercising increases pain and/or other symptoms then doctor’s advice should be sought.