II. Prevention of falls and fractures
If one is suffering from osteoporosis, even a trivial injury may cause fracture. This can be prevented by taking some simple precautions:
- Wear flat shoes.
- Make sure that the stairs, bedrooms, halls and bathrooms are well illuminated.
- Keep the floor dry, especially in bathrooms and kitchen.
- Avoid alcohol and sedatives.
- Use a cane or walker if you are very weak and cannot support you body weight properly.
- Avoid wearing bifocal glasses.
- When getting up from a lying position, first sit on the edge of the bed for sometime before standing up (to avoid postural hypotension).