BONE & JOINT DISORDERS (ARTHRITIS)
OSTEOARTHRITIS – INTRODUCTION
Osteoarthritis is a degenerative joint disease characterized by aching pain in one or more joints, stiffness and loss of mobility. Inflammation may or may not be present.
Some of its unique features are :
- Usually begins after the age of 40.
- Develops slowly over a period of years.
- Is not symmetrical i.e. may involve joints only on one side of the body.
- Mainly affects the weight bearing joints like the knees and hips.
- Joints are usually cold as there is no inflammation.
- Does not affect the overall health of the patient.