BONE & JOINT DISORDERS (ARTHRITIS)
OSTEOARTHRITIS – INVESTIGATIONS
Laboratory examinations include :
- Blood test
- ESR (Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate) is not increased in osteoarthritis
- C-reactive protein : Increased level of this factor is a good predictor for progression of osteoarthritis
- Serology test
- Rheumatoid Factor is not present in OA
- X-Ray Osteoarthritis is often visible on x-ray. It shows loss of joint space, bony marginal lipping and bony projections (spurs). Cyst formation is seen in more advanced cases.
- Synovial fluid examination It is done to rule out infection. Presence of cartilage cells in synovial fluid is an indicator of OA.