BONE & JOINT DISORDERS (ARTHRITIS)
OSTEOPOROSIS – HOMEOPATHIC APPROACH
Osteoporosis is a condition that develops gradually without any obvious symptoms. Hence, one should be well aware of the various nutritional and lifestyle modifications that can help prevent or slow down the process of osteoporosis.
- The best way to prevent osteoporosis is to maintain a healthy diet (rich in calcium, phosphorous and vitamin D) through the childhood and young adulthood. Take food rich in calcium likemilk, broccoli, eggs, cheese, milk, tofu, green leafy vegetables etc. (Nutrition in Osteoporosis)
- Take less of protein food as protein causes increased loss of calcium from the bone.
- Do regular weight bearing exercises like walking, stair climbing, dancing, swimming etc. Exercising helps to increase total bone mass and maintain the bone strength.
- Avoid smoking and drinking .
All these factors if combined with homeopathic medicine can help in controlling osteoporosis.
One of the most important homeopathic medicine called Calcarea Phosphorica (prepared from phosphate of lime, a rich source of calcium as well as phosphorous) helps to build stronger bones and maintain the bone mass. However, it is best to consult a homeopathic doctor before starting any medicine.
Once osteoporosis has set in it is important to take some homeopathic medicine in consultation with your doctor. Basic approach of homeopathy is to understand the disease in its whole extent. Apart from this a lot of emphasis is given to the patient as a whole. As there are no single specific remedy for all the cases of osteoporosis, therefore it becomes important to individualize each and every case. By timely management and well selected homeopathic medicine osteoporosis can be controlled.
Homeopathic medicines act by stimulating the body’s immune system (healing power) so that the body can heal itself naturally. Thehomeopathic medicine cannot restore the earlier bone loss but candefinitely prevent further bone loss by helping the body to use the minerals and nutrients efficiently.
The Homeopathic Remedies should be taken under the supervision of a qualified Homeopathic Consultant as self-treatment might complicate the case.
Some of the commonly prescribed homeopathic medicines include:
|Osteoporosis||Calcarea carbonica, Calcarea phosphorica, Phosphorous, Silicea|
|Fracture due to osteoporosis||Calcarea phosphorica, Symphytum|
Besides these medicines a constitutional medicine (suited to the constitution of the patient) may be selected for every individual case after taking a proper case history (i.e. taking into consideration the characteristic and unique symptoms of the patient).
Along with the homeopathic medicines it is important to:
- Take a diet rich in calcium, phosphorous and vitamin D
- Do regular weight bearing exercises (like walking, dancing, swimming etc.) exercises. But avoid high impact exercises like running/jogging, lifting heavy objects, basketball, tennis, skiing etc. as these can lead to fracture of the osteoporotic bone.