BREAST FEEDING – ADVANTAGES OF BREAST FEEDING
Advantages to both the mother and the baby
- Comforting body contact between the mother and the baby facilitates a close loving bond between the two.
- Child spacing: 98% protection from pregnancy is provided if the following criteria are met with:
- The mother remains amenorrheic – does not have monthly periods. The bleeding before 56th post delivery day should be ignored.
- The mother exclusively breast-feeds her baby. Exclusive breast-feeding means that no water, milk or even vitamins should be offered to the baby.
- The baby is less than 6 months old.
However, it is advisable to use other family planning methods acceptable to the couple.