- Sit with both legs stretched, heels together.
- Place the palms on the floor by the side of the buttocks.
- Make the spine, neck and head erect.
- Close the eyes.
I. Starting position (Sthiti): Dandasana
- Sit down with legs stretched out. Join your heels with toes pointing to the ceiling. Rest the palms flat on the ground beside the body. Make the spine and neck erect, if necessary, by pressing the palms on the floor. Feel the weight of the body on the buttocks and the palms.
- Fold your right leg, bringing your right heel under your right buttock. Sitting on the right heel, fold your left leg, bringing your left heel under your left buttock, both the soles facing the sky. Now your buttocks are resting on both the heels, palms placed loosely on the thighs.
- Spread out the knees, keeping an arms distance between them.
- Lean forward and place the arms on the floor, the elbows just in front of the knees, palms on the ground.
- Crouch down on your hands and knees, with your hands and thighs vertical , like pillars. Maintain a distance of about the length of your forearm between the two palms and knees.
- Spread out the legs also so that the palms, knees and the heels are in a straight line. Stand on all fours.
- While inhaling lift your head up, gaze at the ceiling, arch your spine down, making it concave.
- While exhaling bring your head down, chin touching the chest, arching your back upwards, and making it convex.
- Hold this position for a while, feeling the expansion of the chest, shoulders and stretch of the belly. Keep the eyes open.
- To finish, relax in shashankasana Bring your knees and toes together and sit on the heels. Relax by stretching out your arms flat on the ground in front of the head, palms on the ground, fingers stretched outwards. Try to place the forehead on the ground if possible. Feel the breath getting shallow due to the compression of the abdominal muscles. Relax.
- Before starting the practice ensure that you are comfortable while standing on “All fours” (i.e.. two hands and two knees).
- Properly synchronize the breathing with movements.
- Do not bend the elbows. Make sure that the thighs do not move forward and backward.