The basic approach in Homeopathy is to evaluate the Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease in its whole extent, that is giving consideration and value to all the symptoms which might be inter related to one another and characterizing a case as an individual.
A lot of emphasis is given to the patient as a whole besides minutely studying various aspects of COPD. The homeopathic approach is to boost up the defense mechanism which fights off the allergens making the body to restore health. There is no single specific remedy for all the cases of COPD, therefore it becomes important to individualize each and every case. If detected in earlier stages COPD is reversible but in a progressive stage (where extensive lung damage has taken place) it can only be controlled and not cured.
The Homeopathic Remedies should be taken under the supervision of a qualified Homeopathic Consultant as self-treatment might complicate the case.
Homeopathic prescription in COPD will depend upon :
I. Cause of the disease
Before starting the treatment its important to understand the causative factor of COPD. Unless the cause is removed treatment will not be effective. Causes could be :
- Precipitating causes like smoking, pollution or exposure to any other allergy, weather, mechanical injury. These causes will also help in selecting homeopathic medicines.
|Some remedies that may help in removing bad effects of smoking||Ignatia, Tabacum, Caladium, Nux Vom|
|Remedies that may help in quitting smoking||Caladium and Tamarindus indicus, Tabacum|
|When cough is caused by tobacco smoke||Mentha piperita, Mercurius solubilis, Spongia, Staphysagria|
|For allergy to dust remedies||Pothos|
|For COPD due to any mechanical injury||Arnica, Millefolium|
|For COPD especially worse in cold air||Aconite, Aralia, Bacillinum, Carbo veg, Chamomilla, Corallium, Dulcamara, Hepar sulph, Mercurius solubilis, Psorinum, Silicea, Tuberculinum|
- Maintaining causes like unhygienic conditions, improper nutrition, occupational hazards act as an obstacle to cure. These result in the maintenance (continuation) of the disease and unless they are removed proper treatment cannot take place. Once the maintaining cause is removed the disease can be taken care of and medicines can be prescribed to the patient depending on his characteristic (individual) symptom picture.
II. Symptoms of the disease
Any disease results in altered sensations and functions. According to homeopathy these altered sensations and functions are unique or characteristic to every person, therefore it is important to make‘diagnosis of the person’ than make ‘diagnosis of disease’.
For example in a person suffering from COPD to take out an individual picture it is important to know:
- Character of cough : dry or productive; sound of cough; what makes it worse or better; any time, place, position, weather, food etc. aggravation (makes the symptom worse) or amelioration (makes the symptom better).
- Character of expectoration (sputum or mucus) : scanty or profuse; color of mucus; thin or thick; smell of mucus; taste of mucus; any time, position, weather aggravation or amelioration
- Nature of breathing : sound of breathing, what conditions make it worse or better
- Other associated symptoms : swelling in body, blueness of skin, loss of weight, dizziness, loss of sleep, headache, stomach problems etc.
It becomes important to have a complete symptom picture in each individual case as the patient will present with different set of symptoms (individual set) which will finally help in selection of the medicine
Some Homeopathic medicines that may help in COPD depending on individual symptom picture are :
|Chronic bronchitis||Aconite, Ammonium carbonicum, Antimonium tart, Argentum metallicum, Arsenicum, Arsenicum iodatum, Balsam peru, Baryta muraticum, Bryonia, Calcarea carbonicum, Carbo veg, Copaiva, Grindelia, Hepar sulph, Ipecac, Kali bichromicum, Kali iodatum, Kali sulph, Lycopodium, Nitric acid, Phosphorous, Pulsatilla, Rumex, Scilla, Senega, Sepia, Silicea, Stannum metallicum, Sulphur, Tuberculinum|
|Chronic Bronchitis complicated with Emphysema||Arsenicum album, Calcarea carbonicum, Lycopodium, Sulphur|
For Chronic Bronchitis developing secondary to certain disease conditions:
|Heart problems||Arsenicum album, Crategus, Lachesis, Lycopodium, Spongia|
|Influenza||Allium cepa, Eriodictyon, Hyoscyamus, Kali bichromicum, Kali sulph, Pix liquida, Sangunaria, Senega, Stannum, Strychnine|
|Measles||Drosera, Dulcamara, Eupatorium perfolatum, Euphrasia, Ipecac, Kali bichromicum , Pulsatilla, Sanguinaria, Scilla, Sticta|
|Syphilis||Kali Bichromicum, Mercurius solubilis, Syphillinum|
|Stomach problems||Antimonium crud, Bryonia, Carbo veg, Kali bichromicum, Lobelia, Nux vom, Pulsatilla, Sanguinaria, Sepia, Sulphur|
|Tuberculosis||Arsenic iodatum, Bacillinum, Calcarea carbonicum, Drosera, Tuberculinum|
|Whooping cough||Causticum, Sangunaria|
|Worm problems||Cina, Santonine, Terebinth|
|Chronic Bronchitis especially in old age||Antimonium tart, Baryta muriaticum, Carbo veg, Senega, Silicea, Sticta|
|Emphysema||Ammonium carbonicum, Antimonium Arsenicum, Arsenicum album, Aurum muriaticum, Bryonia, Calcarea phosphoricum, Carbo veg, Drosera, Grindelia, Hepar sulph, Lobelia inflata, Nux vomica, Phosphorous, Pulsatilla, Sepia, Strychninum|
III. Family History
In the treatment of COPD, it is very important to have a detailed family history. Sometimes we find that the remedy which is prescribed in COPD is able to control the symptoms but has no effect on the intensity and frequency of the subsequent attacks. In such cases, we require constitutional remedy. Therefore, we can say that the acute similar remedy was correct one. To remove the basic tendency of COPD or to carry out further progress towards the cure of patient, we require another remedy (i.e. Constitutional Remedy) :
- Family History of Cancer : If a case of COPD gives a history that his or her mother had cancer while the patient was in womb, thenCarcinosin can be taken as Intercurrent Remedy.
- Family History of Tuberculosis : If the patient shows positive family history of tuberculosis, then Tuberculinum can be given as Intercurrent Remedy.
- Family History of Asthma and Allergies :
- When the family history towards allergies is positive, one can take remedies like Sulphur, Lycopodium, andCalcarea Carb.
- For family history of asthma, remedies like Sulphur, Natrum Sulph, Medorrhinum, Tuberculinum etc can be taken. The symptom picture of the patient is the guide for the selection of these remedies.
IV. Psychosomatic Aspect of COPD
Most of the times psychogenic causes are overlooked by the attendants of the patients and by the doctor but they are very important in the selection of the remedy. There are many remedies for such patients. These remedies have a peculiar mental state which corresponds to the psychology of the patient and helps in treating any disease in a person.
Cough in COPD can get worse from certain emotional causes:
|From anger||Antimonium tart, Staphysagria|
|From excitement||Ambra grisea, Corallium, Ignatia, Spongia|
|From mental exertion||Nux vom|