WHEN OXYGEN THERAPY IS NEEDED
If your oxygen level is low in blood you may have symptoms like :
- Shortness of breath
- Drowsiness and restlessness
- Irritability and confusion
- Morning headache
- Blue lips or fingernails
- Clubbing of fingers
- Ankle swelling
Immediately meet your doctor for reviewing your condition.
What are the tests done to determine the need of oxygen :
- Measuring arterial blood gas : This test tells more accurately about how your lungs are working. Blood is drawn from an artery in your wrist and both oxygen and carbon dioxide levels are measured.
- Pulse Oximetry : It is one way to measure the level of oxygen in the blood. A special device clipped onto the finger or earlobe, can indirectly measure the amount of oxygen in the blood. This test may be done at rest, during sleep and while you are walking for a thorough evaluation. This can be used as self monitoring method at home.
Oxygen therapy at home
When oxygen therapy is recommended to you its necessary to know from your doctor :
- How much oxygen is needed per minute (the amount of oxygen you need to use is called the flow rate of oxygen).
- When is it needed.
- How long is it needed.