Avoid things that make your COPD worse :
- Avoid Pollutants, gas fumes, and strong odors like perfumes, room fresheners.
- Keep your home free from smoke and well ventilated.
- Ask people around you not to smoke.
- Sit in a non-smoking zone in the restaurants.
- Avoid driving through high traffic or industrial areas.
- Use a humidifier at home. This will help to keep the air moist and your sputum thin, making it easier to cough up. But be sure to keep your humidifier free from fungus and clean it regularly.
- Change your job if there is something in your working area that is causing the problem.
- Washing hands is one of the first preventive measure.
- Try to avoid people having cold, flu, throat or sinus infection.
- To keep your lung free from infection take 2 or 3 deep breaths and then cough. Do this frequently during day.
Bringing up mucus which is yellow or green or having fever may be a sign of infection, immediately consult your doctor.
III. Weather : Stay inside during very cold or very hot weather or on days when the pollution is high.
IV. Drugs : Avoid taking tranquilizers, sedatives or other drugs that tend to suppress respiration.
V. Stress and anxiety by practising relaxation techniques, yoga and meditation.