If constipation remains untreated, it can lead to certain complications:
- Hemorrhoids or piles: Constant straining can increase the pressure in the veins of the anal region resulting in formation of piles.
- Hernia:Straining continuously for long time can also cause protrusion of intestines through weaker areas of abdominal muscles leading to formation of hernia.
- Anal fissure: A hard stool can peel off a portion of intestinal lining during its passage. This can cause bleeding and excruciating pain while passing stools. This painful condition is known as ‘anal fissure’and takes a long time to heal.
- Intestinal obstruction: Rarely, the hard stools can get impacted and cause obstruction in the intestines. The symptoms include, vomiting, bloating, abdominal pain and failure to even pass gas.
- Retention of urine occurs due to fullness of bowel.
- Indigestion occurs due to excessive gas formation and obstruction to passage of intestinal contents.