A recent study has shown that children living in damp homes are two times more at risk of developing asthma. In addition to this they are also at an increased risk of getting repeated colds and skin allergies. The study also found that people living in damp houses were more likely to suffer from bronchitis, tonsillitis, sinusitis and pneumonia due to which they need to take antibiotics more often.
Researchers say that this is because damp areas provide a suitable environment for the growth of moulds (a type of fungi). These moulds release tiny spores, which can trigger asthma symptoms. As moulds are common in the bathroom and kitchen it is advisable to keep these areas closed in order to prevent the dampness from spreading to other parts of the home. It is also recommended to avoid humidity in home by keeping it well ventilated