Certain risk factors that may contribute to dandruff are:
- Climate : dandruff is severe during winters.
- Infection : Yeastinfection (Pityrosporum ovale), is an important cause of dandruff especially in people with low immunity (immuno-compromised) like AIDS patients.
- Heredity :A family predisposition may be present.
- Oily scalp :People with oily hair tend to have dandruff more often.
- Hormonal changes : Dandruff is common in puberty.
- Improper diet : Dietdeficient in vitamins especially vitamin B complex.
Other factors that make dandruff worse are :
- Excessive use of hairsprays and gels.
- Improper use of hair-coloring products or excessive use of electric hair curlers.
- Cold weather and dry indoor heating.
- Tight fitting hats and scarves.
- Infrequent shampooing of the hair or inadequate rinsing.
- Stress and anxiety.