- Maintains healthy bones and teeth.
- Required for muscular activity and regulation of heartbeat.
- Plays an important role in nerve transmission.
- Activates enzyme systems.
- Essential for formation of blood clot.
- Important for prevention and treatment of osteoporosis.
- May help in preventing hypertension.
- Oily fish with bones (salmon, canned sardines)
- Beans (Soya bean, navy beans, Garbanzo beans)
- Seeds (sunflower, sesame, cumin)
- Muscle twitching
- Tetany (contraction of muscles, causing pain)
- Leg cramps and grinding of teeth
- Excess calcium is excreted in the urine, so toxicity is unlikely.
- Prolonged intake of high doses may cause hypocalcaemia.