Iron is an essential micronutrient playing a vital role in hemoglobin production.
- Formation of hemoglobin.
- Role in respiratory transport of oxygen and carbon dioxide.
- Improves immunity.
- Involved in cognitive performance.
- Helps enzymes for energy production and protein metabolism.
- Non vegetarian (heme) sources
o Egg yolk
- Vegetarian (non-heme) sources
o Whole grains (whole wheat, oats, brown rice, millets)
o Rice flakes
o Legumes (Dried peas, soya bean, kidney beans, green peas, lima beans)
o Green leafy vegetables (especially fenugreek, spinach, kale etc.)
o Dried fruits
o Fortified or enriched grains
- Reduced immunity
- Tachycardia (increased heart beat)
- Excessive intake on a long term basis may lead to toxicity. Symptoms may be
o Shortness of breath