A fat soluble vitamin, available in two forms : retinol and beta carotene.
- Proper functioning of eyes and to prevent night blindness.
- Needed for growth and reproduction.
- Needed for wound healing.
- Maintains healthy skin and mucous membranes (maintains the integrity of epithelium).
- Essential for healthy teeth structure.
- Helps to fight infectious and environment pollutants.
- Beta carotene
o Mustard green
o Sweet potato
o Egg yolk
o Whole milk
o Fish liver oil
- Impaired vision in dim light (night blindness).
- Dryness of eyes followed by burning, itching and infection at a later stage.
- Skin problems.
- Dull and dry hair, dandruff.
- Lowered immune function.
- Kidney stone formation.
- Since, it is stored in the body and not readily excreted, large doses may be toxic.
- Toxicity may occur due to intake of Vitamin A supplements without proper medical supervision.
- Symptoms of Vitamin A toxicity (Hypervitaminosis A) :
o Drying of lips, eyes and skin.
o Headache, Nausea, vomiting.
o Loss of hair.
o Bone and joint pain.
o Enlargement of spleen and liver.