Also known as ascorbic acid, this is a water soluble vitamin.
- Formation of cementing substance that binds the cells in tissues (capillary, bone, teeth, cartilages).
- Needed to make collagen (a protein essential for healthy gums, teeth, bones, cartilage and skin).
- Needed to make neurotransmitters such as noradrenaline and serotonin.
- Aids absorption of iron from plant food.
- Wound healing
- Prevention of infections.
- Citrus fruits
o Indian gooseberry
- Other fruits
o Black currant
o Green pepper
- Painful and bleeding gums.
- Poor resistance to infection.
- Slow wound healing.
- General weakness and loss of appetite.
- Swollen and tender joints and hemorrhages in various tissues.
- Excess amounts are eliminated through urine, therefore, non – toxic.