- Check the victim’s breathing and pulse. Resuscitate, if necessary.
- Be careful while moving the victim as he may have suffered injuries, especially the head and neck region.
- Remove wet clothing and cover the victim with something warm to prevent hypothermia.
- In case the airway is blocked and the victim is unable to breathe, try abdominal thrust – grasp the victim from the back, interlock your hands and place them just below the victims rib cage, pull sharply inwards and upwards. This compresses the chest and may expel the obstruction.
- Arrange for medical aid immediately.