Exercises for hypertension
Regular exercise is important for the control of blood pressure. It helps to :
- Burns calories thereby preventing obesity.
- Increase blood levels of HDL (high density lipoproteins) cholesterol which is beneficial for heart, thereby preventing heart attack and stroke.
- Improves the fitness of heart (Establishes collateral circulation i.e. improves blood circulation.
- Improve the level of general fitness.
Some important guidelines for exercise :
- Consult your doctor before starting any exercise programme.
- Aerobic exercises like jogging, cycling, swimming, aerobic dances are helpful.
- If a complication like heart attack occurs, walking still holds good. Start with a minimum amount of walking and increase it gradually.
- Check your Blood pressure before and after exercising.
- Immediately stop doing exercises if you feel
- breathless (out of proportion to the activity)
- pain in chest or heaviness in chest