Homeopathy treats you in totality, taking the total symptom picture of the patient into consideration, not just the disease. Therefore it is important to treat the whole patient, not just blood pressure. It also modifies your temperament so that you react appropriately to stressful situations. The homeopathic medicines influence and balance the person’s neurological, hormonal and immune systems.
Homeopathic treatment aims to cure the disease of the patient by stimulating the vital force (power of resistance) of the sick person. But if this power of resistance is weakened by damaging influences of toxic and infective agents (chronic miasm- fundamental cause of chronic diseases), then Dr. Hahnemann has advised to remove these obstruction to eliminate chronic miasm so that no interference may come in the way of cure.
It is important to remember that if a person is already on some other treatment (like allopathic or ayurvedic or any other) the medicines taken should not be stopped abruptly. They can be taken along with homeopathic medicine and once the blood pressure is controlled those medicines can be tapered off gradually.
The Homeopathic Remedies should be taken under the supervision of a qualified Homeopathic Consultant as self-treatment might complicate the case.
I. Detecting the causative factor and the precipitating cause
It is very important to find out the cause of blood pressure because every factor may not be amenable to treatment. For example if a women is having high blood pressure because of taking oral contraceptives, then simply withdrawing the medicine will control the blood pressure and she may not require any medicine.
Similarly it is important to identify the precipitating cause of hypertension as prompt elimination of the cause can be life saving for example a known hypertensive patient’s (also suffering from constipation) blood pressure may shoot up while straining at stool. In this case if the constipation is treated the person will feel much better. Some of the important precipitating factors to look for are:
- Emotional upsets
- Physical exertion
- Dietary excess e.g. salt intake
- Environmental factors like heat, high altitude etc.
II. The plan of treatment may be divided into
- Treatment of acute episode
This includes treatment of high blood pressure when it is observed for the first time or when there is a sudden increase in blood pressure in a known case of hypertension.
- Aconite, Adrenaline, Amyl nitrosum, Arsenic, Aurum metallicum, Aurum iodatum, Belladonna, Crategus, Gelsemium, Glonoine, Ignatia, Kali Phos, Natrum muriaticum, Nux Vomica, Passiflora, Rauwolfia, Stramonium, Strontium carb, Strophanthus, Tabacum, Veratrum viride, Vanadium, Viscum album
- Treatment of causative factors and prevention of relapse
Many times a history of chronic grief, suppressed anger, disappointment in love or in career is found in persons suffering from high blood pressure. In such cases homeopathic medicine is selected depending upon the cause.
- from suppressed anger :
- Aurum metallicum, Natrum muriaticum
- from suppressed resentment :
- Aurum metallicum
- from fright :
- Aconite, Gelsemium
- from worry :
- Ignatia, Kali phos, Nux vomica, Natrum muriaticum
- from disappointment in love :
- Ignatia, Nux vomica
- from grief :
- Ignatia, Natrum muriaticum
- from sudden shock from bad news :
- Gelsemium, Ignatia
- from excitement :
- Coffea, Gelsemium, Kali phos
- from excessive salt intake :
- Natrum muriaticum, Phosphorous
- from excessive cigarette smoking :
- from taking lot of non vegetarian food :
- Allium sativa
- in quarrelsome people :
- Veratrum viride
- in old people :
- Baryta muriaticum
- during pregnancy :
- Natrum muriaticum, Sepia
- from arteriosclerosis :
- Adrenalin, Arnica, Arsenic iodatum, Aurum metallicum, Aurum iodatum, Baryta carb, Baryta mur, Crategus, Cactus, Conium, Plumbum iodatum, Polygonum, Secale cor, Strontium carb
- from kidney disease :
- Apis, Glonoine, Lycopodium, Picric acid, Plumbum metallicum, Strophanthus, Stramonium, Tabacum, Uranium nitricum
- from enlarged prostate :
- Conium, Picric acid
- from menopausal disturbances :
- Actea racemosa, Amyl nitrosum, Calcarea arsenicum, Lachesis, Glonoine, Strontium carb, Sumbul ferula
- from thyroid disease :
- Belladonna, Iodum, Thyroidinum, Secale cor
- with past history of syphilis or mercury poisoning :
- Aurum metallicum, Kali iodatum, Fluoric acid
- High blood pressure may be associated with other symptoms or conditions.
- with throbbing headache :
- Belladonna, Glonoine, Melilotus, Natrum muriaticum, Sanguinaria canadensis, Secale cor, Veratrum viride
- with vertigo :
- Aconite, Baryta muriaticum, Belladonna, Glonoine, Natrum muriaticum, Nux vomica, Sulphur, Tabacum
- with constipation :
- Bryonia, Glonoine, Natrum muriaticum, Plumbum metallicum, Sulphur
- with diabetes :
- Phosphorous, Plumbum metallicum, Secale cor, Uranium nitricum
- with albuminuria :
- Apis, Arsenic album, Calcarea arsenicum
- with nose bleeding :
- Aconite, Belladonna, Bryonia, Melilotus, Nux vomica, Phosphorous, Secale cor
- with sadness :
- Aurum metallicum, Calcarea arsenicum, Natrum muriaticum
- with anxiety and restlessness :
- Aconite, Arsenic album
- Treatment of chronic (long standing) hypertension
In long standing cases of hypertension complete history of the person is taken: symptoms related to the disease (common symptom) and symptoms, temperament and personality of the person (characteristic or unique symptoms). Depending on this totality of symptoms every case is evaluated (as an individual case) and the constitutional medicine (depending on constitution of the person) is selected. A constitutional remedy is useful to control and prevent relapse of hypertension.
Constitutional Homeopathic Remedies
- Arsenic album, Aurum metallicum, Belladonna, Bryonia, Conium, Kali iodatum, Lachesis, Lycopodium, Natrum muriaticum, Nux vomica, Phosphorous, Picric acid, Plumbum metallicum, Secale cor, Sepia, Strontium carb, Sulphur
- Treatment of complications
Some homeopathic remedies that may help include:
- Hypertensive encephalopathy :
- Belladonna, Glonoine, Lachesis, Nux vomica, Veratrum viride
- Apoplexy :
- Aconite, Arnica, Belladonna, Glonoine, Lachesis, Nux vomica, Opium, Phosphorous, Strontium carb, Veratrum viride
- Valvular affections in heart :
- Crategus, Veratrum viride
- Malignant hypertension :
- Hemorrhage in eyes :
- Aconite, Arnica, Belladonna, Lachesis, Phosphorous
- Papilloedema :
Some important guidelines for taking medicines :
- Take the medicine regularly
- Don’t change the medicine or the dosage of medicine without your doctors advice.
- If the prescribed medicine is not lowering the blood pressure, meet your doctor
High blood pressure with systolic pressure of 220 mm Hg and diastolic pressure of 125 mm Hg. should be considered as an emergency. Immediately rush to the hospital.