- Ayurveda focuses on the life style modification (Aachar Rasayan) along with conventional drug therapy.
- If hypertension is secondary to some other disease then treatment is aimed at eliminating the primary disease.
- Avoidance of smoking, alcohol and high calorie diet.
- Hypertension can be mild, moderate and severe. Ayurveda is effective in mild hypertension however, in moderate and severe hypertension Ayurveda can be used as an adjunct to modern medicine. Ayurvedic treatment is recommended for prevention of hypertension in whom risk factors are present.
- The treatment is aimed at restoring the Vata balance.
Herbs used in treating hypertension
- Sarpgandha Rauwolfia serpentina
- Jatamansi Nordostachys jatamansi
- Garlic Allium sativum
- Ashwagandha Withania somnifera
- Vacha Acorus calamus
Ayurvedic drugs used
- Sarpgandha Vatai
- Mansyadi Kwath
Oil containing herbs is poured onto the head for sometime while the person is lying down. It relaxes the mind.