OPV (ORAL POLIO VACCINE) – ADVANTAGES
- OPV is given orally (by mouth)
- Unlike most other vaccines – it does not require sterile injection equipment.
- The vaccine is relatively inexpensive.
- Immunization with OPV can result in the ‘passive’immunization of persons within close contact.
- As discussed above, the unique ability of OPV to induce intestinal, local immunity is probably responsible for the extraordinary effect of OPV mass campaigns in interrupting wild poliovirus transmission.
- OPV remains the vaccine of choice for the eradication of polio.