OPV (ORAL POLIO VACCINE) – TYPE OF VACCINE
- It is a live attenuated vaccine.
- 3 types of poliomyelitis virus (Types 1, 2 and 3) are included in the vaccine.
- Each dose has Type 1(106 TCID 50), Type 2 (105 TCID 50), Type 3 (105.5TCID 50).
- Storage requires strict temperature maintenance. It is stored in the uppermost compartment of fridge (2 – 4°C).
- The vaccine is pink in color. If discolored it indicates improper storage, such a vaccine should not be administered.
Mode of Action
The attenuated virus particles settle in the intestine and the body forms antibodies in the intestine and the bloodstream. This intestinal immune response to OPV is probably the main reason why mass campaigns with OPV can rapidly stop person-to-person transmission of wild poliovirus.