TYPHOID VACCINE – THE KILLED VACCINE
Type of vaccine
- Monovalent killed vaccine has killed, preserved bacteria which causes typhoid.
- It is available in liquid and freeze dried form.
- It is stored in lowermost compartment of fridge. DO NOT FREEZE.
- It is 60 to 65% effective.
Dosage & schedule
- It is the only typhoid vaccine which can be given under 2 years of age.
- It can safely be given after 6 months of age.
- 2 doses, 4 weeks apart are given subcutaneous (SC) by an injection on anterolateral aspect of thigh.
- Dose: < 10 years is 0.25ml; > 10 years is 0.5 ml
- A booster dose is recommended after every 3 years.
- Local pain, swelling, redness, fever with chills and severe headache.
- Very rarely, severe reactions like an allergic reaction, chest pain, liver damage, neurological problems and arthritis.
History of allergic or severe reaction following the previous dose.