Extent of the Problem

Home/Diabetes/Extent of the Problem

Diabetes is one of the most widespread diseases in the world. In 1995 alone, around 135 million people were affected by diabetes world wide. WHO estimates indicate that this number is increasing at an alarming rate and that approximately 300 million people will be affected by diabetes in the year 2025.

  • Currently around 150 million people are suffering from diabetes world wide.
  • India has around 30 million diabetes patients at present. The tally is expected to rise to about 57 million by 2025.
  • About 17 million people in the U.S.A. have diabetes.
  • Approximately 1.4 million people in the UK are suffering from diabetes.

About 85-90% of all diabetes patients suffer from Type2 Diabetes and the remaining 10% from Type1 Diabetes. While secondary diabetes accounts for less than 1% of the affected population, approximately 4% of pregnancies are complicated by diabetes.