Pavanamuktasana Lumbar stretch
- Lie down on the back with the legs, feet and knees together.
- Stretch the hands straight above the head, biceps touching the ears and the palms facing the ceiling.
- Close the eyes.
I. Starting position (Sthiti): Supine
- While inhaling slowly raise the right leg up to 90o without bending the knee.
- While breathing out bend the knee, pull it towards the chest with the hands (fingers interlocked) and simultaneously raise the head trying to touch the knee with the forehead.
- Maintain for a while feeling the stretch of the back muscles.
- Then inhale, stretch up the right leg to 90o while exhaling lower the right leg to the floor.
- Repeat the same with the left leg.
- This is one round. Repeat five rounds.
- While raising and lowering the leg, do not bend the knee.
- Synchronize your breathing with the movement.
- While touching the knee with the forehead you should be able to feel the stretch at the lower back (lumbar region).
- Close your eyes and focus your awareness on the lower back (lumbar region).
- This practice can be done with both legs together as well.