Viparita Karani Kriya and Bandha
- Lie down on the back with the legs, feet and knees together.
- Stretch the hands straight above the head, biceps touching the ears and the palms facing the ceiling.
- Close the eyes.
I. Starting position (Sthiti): Supine
- Raise the legs to 90o, keeping the knees straight, legs stretching inwards slightly.
- Raise the buttocks and the trunk off the floor by supporting the body with the hands at the waist to transfer the weight to the arms and elbows. Keep the elbows as close to each other as possible.
- Slowly move into the final position of the Viparita Karani by raising the straight legs to the vertical position and keeping the trunk at an angle of 45o to the ground.
- In the final position the weight of the body rests on the shoulders, neck and the elbows, the trunk is at 45o angle to the floor, the legs straight and vertical to the floor and note that the chin should not press against the chest.
- Close the eyes and feel comfortable.
- Focus the awareness on the perineum i.e. the area between the anus and the genitals.
III. Practice (Bandha)
- Now slowly in rolling motion, pull the buttocks inwards.
- Then contract the anal sphincter muscles and pull the anus inwards and upwards.
- Hold it as long as possible with normal breathing.
- Release the Bandha and then retrace the steps to come down to the supine position and rest in shavasana for a while.
- Apart from Mulabandha the following practices can also be done in the final position of Viparita Karani or deep abdominal breathing or Kapalabhati or Aswini Mudra.
- Mulabandha can also be performed with Antarkumbhaka (holding the breath after inhalation).
- Practise a few rounds.
- Aswini Mudra is a good preparatory practice for Mulabandha and can be practised in the following way:
Contract the anal sphincter muscles and pull the anus inward and upward. Hold for 2 to 3 seconds, then relax. Repeat it as many times as possible with normal breathing.
- It stimulates and tones the uro-genital and excretory systems.
- Intestinal movement is also stimulated, relieving constipation and piles.
- It is also beneficial for anal fissures, ulcers, prostatitis etc.