SOURCES OF SUGAR
- Soft drinks are the most likely source of excess sugar for children.
- Recent studies show that the average teenager drinks three soft drinks a day.
- As children have been increasing the amount of soft drinks they consume, their consumption of milk has decreased.
- With more and more kids drinking these, the excess consumption of sugar, just from soft drinks, is increasing.
- Soft drinks are available at many schools and after school programs.
- Children are likely to order soft drinks when eating at fast food restaurants with their families.
Other sources are cakes, pastries, ice creams, milk shakes and others.
Sweets Without Extra Sugar
Fresh fruit is a good source of natural sugar. It is sweet and can replace empty calories. You can give your child a piece of fruit, a fruit salad or fruit juice if she wants something sweet.