A fat soluble vitamin, known as the SUNSHINE vitamin because the human skin can produce this vitamin in the presence of sunlight.
- Promotes absorption of calcium and phosphorus.
- Helps in normal calcification of bone.
- Important for healthy bones and teeth.
- Prevents osteoporosis.
- Fish liver oil
- Egg yolk
- Oily fish (mackerel, salmon, sardines, herring)
- Fortified milk and milk based products
- Fortified breakfast cereals
- Rickets in children.
- Osteomalacia in adults.
- General bone loss and osteoporosis.
- High doses (more than 1000-1500m/day) may lead to toxicity.
o Excessive thirst