Homosexuality per se is not considered to be abnormal until unless it causes significant distress and marked social and occupational impairment. It is then one should seek help.

Often the individual needs counseling when

  • He/She is confused about his/her sexual orientation.
  • He/She is depressed or anxious or feel guilty or suicidal about it.
  • When he/she encounters marked distress and there is impairment in occupational functioning because of homosexuality or the problems arising out of it.
  • If he/she is abusing drugs.
  • Promiscuous homosexuals and the one who abuse drugs needs a counseling for there behavior and AIDS.
  • If a person feels that he can suppress his or her homosexual tendencies and needs a help about it.
  • For their sexual problems.

Whom to consult?

  • If there is marked distress and associated social and occupational impairment one should consult a psychiatrist or a clinical¬†psychologist for their psychological problems.
  • There are also self help groups who can restore their confidence.