Pain During Sexual Intercourse (Difficult penetration or painful penetration)
What is the cause of the Pain during Sex?
- Childhood genital trauma, healed genital injury, presence of genital infections often lead to pain during sexual intercourse. This is more common with women.
- But genital pain during sexual intercourse can also occur in the absence of any genital injury or infection. In such cases interpersonal disturbances, tension and anxiety about sexual act are the main reasons.
- In some cases childhood sexual abuse and rape is associated with such pain.
- This problem can occur both in men as well as in women.
- The persons with this problem complaints of genital pain that is distressing and makes the intercourse unpleasant and/or impossible.
- This problem is often associated with frustration, depression and interpersonal difficulties.
What is the remedy?
- The main cause of the pain is identified. Infection needs to be treated with proper medication and in case of injury or healed scar, surgical intervention is necessary.
Once such conditions are addressed adequately and should the problem persists one should seek help from a psychiatrist.