- Vibratory perception of penis – It is done by placing a vibrating tuning fork at the base of the penis. Presence of sense of vibration indicates the intact nerve function in an individual.
- Monitoring nocturnal penile tumescence – It is a non-invasive procedure which is done in a “Sleep laboratory” in form of an overnight investigation. The patient is made to sleep for 8 hours in the hospital where his other body functions related to sleep and penile erections are monitored.
- Measuring blood pressure of penis with penile plethysmography.
- Ultrasound (Doppler) flowmetry – The blood supply of the penis is assessed with help of an ultrasound machine.
- Pudendal nerve latency time – This is done to rule out any problem with the nerve supply of the penis.
- Glucose tolerance test – It rules out the presence of diabetes as the cause of impotence / orgasm failure.
- Plasma hormone assay (sex hormones) – The sex hormone levels in the blood are evaluated.
- Liver function test – Male sexual problems can result due to liver failure.
- Thyroid function test – Lack of thyroid hormones can affect the sexual life of both the sexes.
- Penile arteriography – It is done to assess the blood supply to the penis.
- Radio active Xenon penography – It is also done to assess the blood perfusion of the penis.