SIMPLE GOITER – MANAGEMENT
- Simple diffuse goiter usually does not require any treatment as mostly it regresses on its own.
- Endemic and multinodular goiter:
- Iodine supplementation can be done by adding 20 mg of potassium iodide per kilogram of salt. Iodized salt has greatly reduced the incidence of goiter in region with low-iodine diet. However, it has got no effect in reducing the size of goiter. The minimum iodine dietary requirement is 50 µg daily.
- Thyroxine supplementation may be beneficial in reducing the size of goiter.
- Partial thyroidectomy (removal of a part of thyroid gland) may be considered for large goiter especially if it causes pressure symptoms.
- Annual examination is necessary as it may progress to toxic multinodular goiter which is characterized by over production of thyroid hormones (hyperthyroidism).