SIMPLE GOITER – MANAGEMENT
- Simple diffuse goiter usually does not require any treatment as mostly it regresses on its own.
- Endemic and multinodular goiter:
- Iodine supplementation can be done by adding 20 mg of potassium iodide per kilogram of salt. Iodized salt has greatly reduced the incidence of goiter in region with low-iodine diet. However, it has got no effect in reducing the size of goiter. The minimum iodine dietary requirement is 50 µg daily.
- Some of the Homeopathic medicines that may help include:
Adrenaline, Ammonium carb, Ammonium mur, Apis, Aurum sulph, Badiaga, Baryta iodatum, Belladonna, Bromium, Calcarea carb, Calcarea fluor, Calcarea iodatum, Fluoric acid, Fucus, Hydrastis, Iodum, Iodothyr., Iris, Kali carb, Kali iodatum, Lapis album, Merc iodatus flavus, Natrum mur, Silicea, Spongia, Thyroidinum
- Annual examination is necessary as it may progress to toxic multinodular goiter which is characterized by over production of thyroid hormones (hyperthyroidism).