Goitre (Galganda) is a condition characterized by enlargement of the thyroid gland and presents as a swelling in the front of the neck.
- Vataj Galganda
- Kaphaj Galganda
- Medaj Galganda
Disturbed Kapha and Vata dosha vitiates muscle (Maans) and adipose tissue (Med) to produce Galganda.
- Non inflammatory swelling progressing slowly.
- Pricking sensation in the swollen area.
- Roughness in the swollen area.
- Pus formation in rare cases.
- Large swelling that increases in size slowly.
- Heavy swelling that is cold to touch.
- No discoloration.
- Associated with mild pain, itching, sweetness in mouth, stickiness in throat and palate.
- Painless heavy swelling that is soft to touch.
- Appears as a hanging swelling.
- Pale in color, with an unpleasant odor.
- Difficulty in speech and/or change in voice.
- Itching in the swollen area.
- It may increase or decrease in size depending upon the body’s tissue condition.
Features indicating incurability
As per Ayurveda, if Galganda persists for more than one year or if any of the following complications develop then the condition becomes incurable.
- Difficulty in breathing.
- Wasting of muscles
- Loss of appetite.
- Altered or weak speech.