Padma literally means lotus. This is the posture for meditation.
- Sit with both legs stretched, heels together.
- Place the palms on the floor by the side of the buttocks.
- Make the spine, neck and head erect.
- Close the eyes.
I. Starting position (Sthiti): Dandasana
- Sit on the floor with legs straight.
- Bend the right leg at the knee, hold the right foot with your hands and rest it at the root of the left thigh so that the right heel is near the navel.
- Now bend the left leg. Hold the left foot with your hands. Rest it over the right at the root near the navel. Turn the soles of the feet up.
- Back should be kept erect.
- Arms can be rested either in the gesture of Gyan Mudra or in the middle where the feet cross each other with one palm upon the other.
- Stay in this position for as long as it is convenient.
- Now, repeat the practice with the left leg.
- It is known to relax the body and the mind. It alleviates stiffness of the knees and the ankles.