I. Starting position (Sthiti): Supine
- Lie on the back. Bend the legs.
- Draw the heels towards your hips.
- Breathe deeply for a few minutes.
- Contract, then relax the muscles at the opening of rectum. Repeat 3-4 times.
- In case of women, Vaginal muscles should be simultaneously contracted and relaxed.
- Next, pull the muscles of the openings and the pelvic floor inward and upward and relax them. Repeat the process 2-3 times. Breath rhythmically. Practice it for half a minute, then relax.
- Practice it daily until muscles can be contracted or relaxed rhythmically for 5 minutes.
- Try to do these exercises in varied positions viz. kneeling, sitting, standing and independent of the breathing rhythm.
This Mudra exercises the pelvic muscles, which control the opening of the rectum and the bladder. It is therefore beneficial in prevention of incontinence. It is especially useful for women since it strengthens the pelvic floor muscles, thereby preventing prolapse of the uterus.