HOMEOPATHIC APPROACH TO ALOPECIA
The basic approach in Homeopathy is to evaluate the disease in its whole extent, that is giving consideration and value to all the symptoms which might be inter related to one another and characterizing a case as an individual. A lot of emphasis is given to the patient as a whole besides minutely studying various aspects of Alopecia. The homeopathic approach is to boost up the defense mechanism in the body and fight off the disease. There is no single specific remedy for all the cases of alopecia, therefore it becomes important to individualize each and every case.
The Homeopathic Remedies should be taken under the supervision of a qualified Homeopathic Consultant as self-treatment may result in unnecessary side effects and thus complicate the case.
The homeopathic treatment for alopecia includes :
I. Detection and removal of the cause
Its important to know what is causing alopecia, whether it is amaintaining cause or precipitating cause.
Maintaining cause are responsible for the continuation of the disease and unless they are removed the disease cannot be cured. These causes may include: use of oral contraceptives, poor hair hygiene, excessive shampooing, radiation therapy etc. Once these causes are removed or withdrawn the problem of hair loss gets better and does not require any homeopathic medicines for treatment.
Precipitating causes are those which have precipitated or caused alopecia. Depending on the precipitating factor a homeopathic medicine can be selected. For example:
- from abuse of mercurial medicines Aurum metallicum, Graphites, Hepar sulph, Fluoric acid, Syphilinum.
- from grief and sorrow Ignatia, Natrum muriaticum, Phosphoric acid.
- from stress Kali phos, Natrum muriaticum, Nux vomica.
- after injury Arnica.
- during pregnancy Natrum muriaticum, Lachesis.
- after delivery Calcarea carb, Kali carb, Lycopodium, Sulphur, Thuja.
- after menopause Lachesis, Sepia.
- from dandruff Ammonium muriaticum, Arsenic album, Bryonia, Calcarea carb, Lycopodium, Natrum muriaticum, Phosphorous, Thuja.
- following long fevers Arsenic album, China, Natrum muriaticum, Phosphoric acid, Thallium.
- from syphilis Fluoric acid, Mercurius, Nitric acid, Syphilinum, Ustilago maydens.
II. Alopecia may be accompanied by other conditions
- with dry and wilted hair Kali carb, Secale cor.
- with itching Alumina, Arsenic album, Arundo, Fluoric acid, Medorrhinum, Vinca minor.
- with sensitive scalp Arsenic album, Arundo, Nitric acid, Sepia.
- with boils Aurum metallicum, Mezereum.
- with thyroid disease Iodum, Natrum muriaticum, Thallium, Thyroidinum.
- in young people (premature baldness) Baryta carb, Lycopodium, Phosphoric acid.
III. Depending upon type of alopecia
Alopecia areata Alumina, Arsenic album, Arundo, Calcarea carb, Fluoric acid, Graphites, Kali carb, Lycopodium, Mezereum, Medorrhinum, Natrum muriaticum, Nitric acid, Phosphoric acid, Phosphorous, Selenium, Sepia, Silicea, Syphilinum, Thallium, Thuja, Vinca minor, Wiesbaden.
- loss of hair from scalp and eyebrows Graphites, Kali carb.
- loss of hair from scalp and whiskers Calcarea carb, Graphites, Natrum muriaticum.
- loss of hair from beard and eyebrows Anantherum, Graphites.
- loss of hair from beard and whiskers Sphingurus.
- loss of hair from eyelashes Rhus tox.
Alopecia universalis Alumina, Phosphoric acid, Selenium.