Angina Pectoris – Types
Depending upon the severity and frequency of symptoms it has been divided in two groups :
- Stable angina- In stable angina the chest pain or discomfort is brought on by exertion, whether physical or emotional (stress), and relieved by taking rest.
- Unstable angina – Unstable angina may have any of the following characteristics:
- the chest pain occurs at rest or
- recently started angina (less than two months) with severe and/or frequent attacks (three or more per day) or
- when the patients of stable angina has worsening symptoms in terms of duration, frequency and severity.
- Prinzmetal’s angina is uncommon form in which the pain occurs at rest due to sudden spasm (constriction) of the coronary artery (i.e. the artery supplying the heart muscle.