Principles of treatment Ayurvedic management of Dandruff includes :
- Oleation therapy
- Sweat therapy
- Blood letting (Raktamokshana)
- Scalp massage
- Remove the cause.
- Maintain proper hygiene of the scalp. Avoid Oil massage except in cases of dry variety of Dandruff.
- Avoid excess tea, coffee, alcohol, hot, spicy and oily food.
- Practice Stress relaxation techniques.
Ayurvedic drugs used:
- Gandhak Rasayan
- Triphala Choorna
- Manjishthadi Kwath
- Giloy Satva
- Arogyawardhini Vatai
Several home remedies in the form of external applications have also been used. A few of them are listed below. It is important to note that even though these remedies have been used extensively caution needs to be exercised while using them.
- Fenugreek seed paste is applied over the scalp and left for an hour after which it is washed off.
- Water in which a whole beetroot has been boiled is strained, and used for massaging the scalp. Scalp massage is best done gently, using fingertips.
- Fresh lime juice can be added to the water for the last rinse while washing hair. It not only helps in controlling dandruff but also adds lustre to the hair.
- 4 gm of camphor (Kapur) is dissolved in 100 gm of coconut oil, applied on the scalp at bed time and washed the next morning. A table spoon of vinegar is added to a mug of water, and used for rinsing the hair finally.