Homeopathy treats you in totality, taking the total symptom picture of the patient into consideration, not just the metabolic disorder. It also modifies your temperament so that you react appropriately to stressful situations. The homeopathic medicines influence and balance a person’s neurological, hormonal and immune systems. Homeopathic treatment aims to cure the disease of the patient by stimulating the vital force (power of resistance) of the sick person. But if this power of resistance is weakened by damaging influences of toxic and infective agents (chronic miasm- fundamental cause of chronic diseases), then Dr. Hahnemann has advised to remove these obstruction to eliminate chronic miasm so that no interference may come in the way of cure.
Deficiency of insulin is the chief obstruction to cure diabetes mellitus. Therefore, where insulin deficiency (Type 1 diabetes) is present and cannot be stimulated by homeopathic medicines then it should be given simultaneously to remove the obstruction to cure.
In the light of Hahnemannian principles the homeopathic remedies may be divided into three categories:
I. Homeo-miasmatic remedies : These remedies are similar to the damaging influences, toxins and infecting agents that derange the power of resistance (vital force) of the patient. These damaging miasms (miasm are infectious, excessively minute agents causing diseases, these were first discovered by Dr. Hahnemann) which cause diabetes are of three types:
- Acute uncured miasm like influenza, whooping cough, diphtheria etc. (Remedies which may help are: Influenzinum, Pertussin, Diphtherinum.
- Suppressed influences like effects of suppressed emotions like anger, grief (Remedies which may help are: Ignatia, Natrum Muraticum, Nux Vomica, Staphysagria, Aurum Metallicum, Lachesis, Lycopodium, Psorinum.
- Chronic miasms (chronic infective agents) : Remedies which may help are: Psorinum, Tuberculinum, Thuja, Syphilinum, Medorrhinum, Sulphur, Mercurius Solubilis.
II. Homeo-constitutional remedies : These remedies are similar to the personality of the patient. To select these remedies homeopathic physician must carefully assess your entire symptom picture, figure out your personality, hopes and fears, family history, and put it all together to come up with the single individual remedy that best fits your picture.
Important homeo-constitutional remedies include Argentum metallicum, Acetic acid, Arsenic album, Boric acid, Bovista, Causticum, Graphites, Hepar sulph, Helonias, Lactic acid, Lycopodium, Natrum muriaticum, Nitric acid, Opium, Phosphoric acid, Phosphorous, Plumbum metallicum, Secale cor, Silicea, Sulphur, Tarentula hispanica, Vanadium.
III. Specific Homeopathic remedies : These medicines have symptoms similar to the symptoms of diabetes and are therefore specific for this condition.
These remedies include : Adrenalin, Arsenic brom, Anthracinum, Cuprum arsenicum, Glycerine, Insulin, Lactic acid, Lecithin, Pancreatin, Natrum sulph, Phloridizin, Phosphoric acid, Uranium nitricum, Syzygium jambolinum
Even though Homeopathy may not be able to cure diabetes completely, the above remedies help in :
- Stimulating the resistance power of the patient thereby controlling the disease.
- Fighting against the weakness.
- Maintain the patient in a state of equilibrium (both mentally and physically).
- Checking and managing the complications of diabetes.