Also known as Folacin or Folate, this is another important B Vitamin.
- Aids in Red Blood Cell and White Blood Cell formation in the bone marrow.
- Helps in breakdown and utilization of protein.
- Required for cell division and the formation of DNA, RNA and proteins in the body.
- Folic acid supplements are needed in pregnancy to protect against neural tube defects.
- Beet greens
- Brewer’s yeast
- Green peas
- Sweet potato
- Bean sprouts
- Wheat germ
- Soy flour
- Anaemia (megaloblastic)
- Poor memory
- Weight loss
- Toxic if taken in large amounts.
- Excess folic acid to be avoided during B-12 deficiency.