EDUCATING THE PATIENT (AND FAMILY)
Proper management and care of blood pressure involves medication, diet and exercise, but it begins with education. Therefore, it is very important that people with hypertension and their family or friends should be educated about the causes and complications of hypertension (more so because it does not present with any warning signs or symptoms).
For the success in management it is very important that the patient fully co operates with his doctor’s advice. But this is possible only if he is made aware of the nature of his disease.
I. Patient must know
- Whether his Hypertension is mild or severe.
- Whether his High blood pressure can be controlled just by diet and lifestyle changes or he need some medications also.
- Control of diet is very important. A diet sheet can be prepared according to his height, weight, nature of work.
- To take care of his general health.
- About his complications so that they can be prevented or managed properly.
- The importance of regular blood pressure monitoring to keep in check the progress of disease.
II. Patient should be trained
- To examine his blood pressure with an electronic B.P. instrument.
- To maintain a health record of his blood pressure, weight, development of symptoms.
III. Patient should be advised to
- Rest adequately.
- Exercise regularly as per the instructions given by the doctor.
- Avoid all sorts of mental irritation.
- Avoid getting involved in arguments, controversy, debate.
- Do not undertake sudden exertion and never hurry.
- If suffering from constipation treat it. Don’t strain at stools.
- Take adequate sleep.
- Keep a positive attitude.
- Avoid stress by practicing relaxation techniques, yoga or meditation.