RABIES SPECIFIC IMMUNE GLOBULIN (RIG) – DOSAGE & SCHEDULE
- The dose of human rabies immune globulin is 20 IU/kg body weight.
- The dose of equine (horse) immune globulin is 40 IU/kg body weight.
- Up to half of the total dose is given subcutaneously (SC) at the site of the bite/scratch.
- The remainder is given intramuscularly (IM) in to the deltoid (shoulder) or the buttocks.
- Though all efforts must be done to start the anti-rabies treatment as soon as possible after the exposure, but if for some reason it has been delayed, then the passive immunization with the human rabies immune globulinshould be given along with the start of recommended vaccine course.