There are three relaxation techniques, developed by Vivekananda Kendra Yoga Research foundation viz. Instant relaxation technique, Quick relaxation technique and Deep relaxation technique.
These are easy to perform and beneficial relaxation techniques. Instant relaxation technique can be practised for sometime after every individual exercise. Quick relaxation technique or Deep relaxation technique can be practised after the Asanas or independently in one’s daily routine to provide sufficient rest to the body systems.
Instant relaxation technique
I. Starting position (Sthiti): shavasana
- Bring your legs together; join the heels and toes together and place the palms by the side of the thighs.
- Keep the face relaxed and smiling throughout.
- Start tightening from the toes.
- Tighten the ankle joints , and calf muscles.
- Pull up the knee caps.
- Tighten the thigh muscles.
- Tighten the buttocks.
- Breathe out and pull the abdomen inside.
- Make fists and tighten the arms.
- Inhale and expand the chest.
- Tighten the shoulders, neck muscles and the facial muscles.
- Tighten the whole body from the toes to the head for sometime.
- Relax the whole body instantaneously.
- Legs and arms go apart with the open palms facing the roof.
- Assume the most comfortable position, let the whole body sink down.
- Let all the groups of muscles relax.
- Relax the whole body.
- Enjoy the relaxation.