- Mula implies root, source, origin or foundation.
- Mula Bandha is the region between the anus and the scrotum.
- Apana Vayu is made to flow up to unite with Prana Vayu, by contracting this region. Apana Vayu is the Prana in the lower abdomen whose course is downwards. Prana Vayu resides in the chest region.
- It is attempted first in Antara Kumbhaka (retention of breath after inhalation).
- The region of the lower abdomen between the navel and the anus is contracted towards the spine and pulled up towards the diaphragm.
- Mula Bandha is to be practised under strict supervision of the Yoga teacher.
- It weakens the practitioner if not done properly.
- It increases the sexual retentive power. It tempts the subject to abuse that power.