Swine flu is essentially a viral (H1N1 virus) infection affecting respiratory tract like any other flu. It is to be understood that even though pandemics occur, only people with weak immunity tend to succumb which is true of any viral infection. During monsoons and during seasonal change respiratory infections are in any case common but only few of them could be swine flu, if adequate measures are taken.
- Wash your hands with soap and water frequently
- Sleep should be adequate (at least 8 hours) for boosting immunity
- Drink at least 10 glasses of water daily. This will not only keep you hydrated but also help in getting rid of toxins in the body.
- Take colored fruits & vegetables, whole grains & nuts as they are known to enhance immunity.
- One can also take antioxidants, multivitamin tablets, Colostrum-lactoferrin preparations, Tinea cordifolia extracts, Tulsi in consultation with physicians.
- 45 minutes of brisk walking, yoga & exercise regularly can elevate body resistance.
- Keep away from rumors.
- Stay aware of official authority announcements (guidelines) from time to time.
- Surgical masks can provide a mechanical barrier against droplet infection. However it should cover both mouth & nose & should be disposed off after single use. Also if the mask is damp, discard it immediately. In case masks are not available, a cotton handkerchief can be used.
- Stay away from crowded places as far as possible.
- Avoid eating exposed food, salads & street stuff especially during monsoons.
- Be completely sure of where Swine flu lab tests are being done (& that is in government centers).
Monitor yourself and household members for flu symptoms and contact a health care provider if symptoms occur.